There are all sorts of reasons you might need to move in a hurry:
- Maybe you need to break your lease because your apartment isn’t working out.
- Maybe you’re selling a home and got an offer earlier than you expected.
- Maybe you need to move to start a job immediately.
No matter the cause, moving quickly can be stressful–but the following tips can help you succeed.
Keep a Kit of Essentials Ready to Go
Keeping a set of essential items on hand can make it easier to endure a fast move. Those items include a few changes of clothes, a set of toiletries, medications, water and non-perishable food, and a sleeping bag or air mattress plus blankets. These will allow you to more easily stay with friends or family while looking for a new place. And once you’ve secured a new place, these items will make it more habitable as you move items like a bed in.
It can be tempting to save money by trying to handle a move yourself, but there may be no greater time saver than professional movers. Note that it’s important to be clear about the responsibilities the movers have; for example, find out whether their quoted rate includes help packing or is simply for pickup and transportation.
It’s possible to pack both quickly and carefully. In fact, packing in a planned, controlled manner will probably save you time, especially on the other end as you’re unpacking. Some specific tips include:
- Buy adequate packing supplies, including boxes, tape, and cushioning.
- Have plenty of markers on hand so that you can label all boxes.
- Don’t overpack boxes; ones that are too heavy present a safety hazard and will be difficult to load.
Consider a Self-Storage Unit
If you need to get your items out of your old place in a hurry, few businesses are better equipped to help than self-storage facilities. They can provide a home for your items during and after the move, and variable unit sizes mean everyone can find a fit. To learn more about self-storage facilities in the UK, contact a MrStore location near you today.