2017 is upon us, and that means people are making all sorts of New Year’s resolutions. If your goal is to declutter and reorganize in 2017, read on for some resolutions you can make that can help organize both homes and self-storage units.
Declutter Your Home
Unorganized living and working areas have been linked to higher stress and lower productivity. Clutter in particular can make it feel like you’re losing control of your space. But taking these steps can help cut down on clutter:
- Keep a designated mail area with a bin or paper shredder nearby. That way, you can dispose of mail once you’re done with it.
- Store items in closed drawers or containers. The drawer or container can be messy inside if necessary, but you won’t have to see it all the time.
- Get rid of items you don’t use. For instance, donating any clothing you haven’t worn in a year can open up a tremendous amount of wardrobe space while also helping someone in need.
- If you don’t have the space for clutter-free living areas, consider renting a self storage unit or upgrading to a larger one to boost the room in your home.
Organize Your Storage Unit
Self storage units, too, can fall prey to disorganization and clutter. Just as with a home, there are countermeasures:
- Always leave a walkway down the middle of the storage unit so that you can access items in the back without having to pull everything out first.
- Label everything. It can help to keep masking tape and markers in the storage unit in case the contents change and you need to re-label something.
- Keep items you anticipate needing frequently at the front of the unit.
- If you haven’t already made one, keep a running diagram of where items are located in the unit.